Saturday, August 13, 2011

Entry #1: Welcome

Dear Family and Friends,

The motivation to join the digital age comes from my recent diagnosis with "multiple myeloma" cancer, also known as cancer of the bone marrow.  The "multiple" part indicates that it appears in more than one location.  So we launch this in order to answer concerns and questions about my treatment; respond to the many expressions of love, support and prayer that have come our way; and to give Liza something of a break from being the constant bearer of news and updates.

There is no good time to have this particular cancer; but there is a better time, and it is now.  Now, compared to ten years ago when they would have patted me on the back and sent me straight to palliative care and offered me serious pain killers.  The advancements in pharmacological research, the progress in cellular biology, and the ability to see and manipulate ever smaller structures of matter have all led to some astounding drug protocols.  Think of the droid or iPhone in your hand.  You hold more memory and more computing power that a roomful of computers a generation ago.  Similarly, medical technology has gone deeper into the nature of proteins and DNA, studying ever smaller particles and enzymes.  So the current generation of "chemo" drugs are able more accurately to pinpoint the B-lymphocytes and other runaway white blood cells and attack them, without as much damage to the patient as was so often the case in the past.

So the good news is that there is great hope for remission of this cancer.  Treatments started three weeks ago, and currently they are administering a recipe of four powerful drugs, all taken intravenously.  Two are late model "chemo's" which in numerous clinical trials have resulted in greater success rates when used in tandem rather than alone.  The third is a steroid which will help healing and strengthen tissue and also attack certain lethal proteins in myeloma cancer.  Therefore, I expect to be totally buffed out and capable of hitting my drives over 275 yards.  The fourth drug is for bone repair.  In time they will add an oral cancer-fighter which my oncologist says, "You will be taking for years to come."  No, they do not say "cure" or "healing," but the operant word is "treatable," with great hope for a long and busy life, probably dying from some other bullet.

Also, thanks be to God, there have been so far no sinister side effects.  No doubt that is helped by the ingestion of three additional medications taken just for that purpose.  The most notable side effect is exhaustion.  Fortunately there are naps -- a fine Piatt family tradition.  Frankly, I am fortunate to be able to tolerate all these chemicals.

In addition to the medical and physical report, there is the spiritual report; and in that regard it is even better news.  More prayer.  More Bible.  More time with God.   To use a social networking metaphor, the Lord and I are BFF's.

There will be additional reports about some poignant and funny things that have come up in treatment.  These will be listed under the heading "The Little C."  You will also find in the weeks to come some other writings about family, friends, and former students.  There will also be a section called "Devotions."  You'll see.

Thanks for checking in.  Thanks especially to Liza -- prayer buddy, medical advocate, record keeper and cheerleader.  Thanks also to many who have written, emailed and called with good wishes.

It says in Philippians that we are to be "anxious for nothing."  (Philippians 4:6-7).  That is really an astounding promise of Scripture, that we can cast our cares on Him and be free of worry even in tough and painful circumstances.  To wit, my most recent BP is 104/66.

Next time!  Tim

Liza and Tim at Annie's wedding, Boulder, Colorado, June 2011
           

10 comments:

  1. So happy you have joined the blogosphere!
    I know you will have many readers, including me. Love, Liza

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Piatt,
    I am praying for you as you take on this challenge! You truly one of my most favorite teachers. Looking forward to hearing at how God moves in you :) and through you.

    Chalena Harley aka"Schroeder"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers with you my friend... You will beat this!!! love you Buddy! Pam Castleman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today a blog, tomorrow Facebook? ...what's the world coming to? Nicely written, but I'll need to compare notes from our morning walks to make sure the stories jibe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Received from Doreen Berne on Facebook:

    Please tell Tim that he is a wonderful science writer-making the process very accessible & understandable to lay people! and also I am wishing you both strength to get through this, and know that your faith and friends will get you through! love, Dody

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Ann Visser on Facebook:

    Ann Visser our GOD is sooo amazing!!! His spirit is alive in you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We will be praying for u!!
    Amy Cooper Farmer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr Piatt, I have such wonderful memories of living next door to you and how wonderful you and Mrs Piatt always were to me. I'll be thinking of you and wishing you an easy treatment and swift recovery.

    Michele Finan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr Piatt! So good to hear your "voice" again. I have missed it as you were and are my favorite teacher, EVER! I was sorry to hear that you are ill, but am so pleased to know that your heart is trusting in God and there is hope for more years with you on this side of heaven. I and my entire family are praying for God's best for you and your family. {{{{{{{TIM PIATT}}}}}} <---that is a cyber-bear hug for you since I am unable to hug you in real time, but know that my prayers, thoughts and love are flooding heaven on your behalf.
    Most fondly,
    your student and sister in Christ,
    Carol Boltinhouse

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hope...a word I literally have worn around my neck for the past 7 years without fail. A word that holds more meaning than I could possibly post on this comment box but will simply state I rest my hope and faith upon God Almighty and know that He will indeed hold you and your family in His faithful hands. So grateful for the blessing you were and are to us and send you and Mrs. Piatt such hope, faith and love as well as faithful, committed prayers. In Him, your grateful student, Laura (Sanders) Hill

    ReplyDelete